Sunday, October 5, 2008

Irodov Problem 1.226

The satellite is moving very close to the Earth's surface, so we can assume that the radius of its orbit is almost equal to R - the radius of the Earth. Let the mass of Earth be M and its time period of rotation about its own axis be T. As already solved in problem 1.225, the angular velocity of the satellite w with respect to a stationary observer is given by irrespective of the direction (East to West or West to East) it moves. It absolute velocity is given by . The absolute velocity of an observer on Earth is given by . The velocity of the satellite as measured by an observer on Earth for the two satellites (moving East to West and West to East) will be v+vE and v-vE respectively. So the ratio of kinetic energies of the satellite (of mass m ) as perceived by an observer on Earth will be,









The exact numerical value can be computed by putting the values,



given by approximately 1.27.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir thanx for putting irodov solutions online . i really appreciate your work . the answers to solutions are really very good and througly explained . but it has been a quite a while and you havent uplopaded any of solutions from quite some time . so i request you to put the solutions regularly as i need them as i am preparing for IIT JEE.
thanx

Anonymous said...

its great to see irodov solutions.
thanks for creating and uploading them.there is one request frm my side, that u please do write it at FASTER rate so that it would very helpful to me as well as my frnds......who r trying for IIT.

Krishna Kant Chintalapudi said...

dear Prerna, manish,

I am happy that my blog is helping you all.

I will try my best, but I have a job, a wife ... and last month has been quite busy for me with business travel and meeting some deadlines. I will get back to posting very soon.

I wish you all the best of luck with IIT.

-krishna

Anonymous said...

sir please give me the solution of prob no.3.28 of irodov . I shall be obeliged to you.
nandan

Krishna Kant Chintalapudi said...

dear nandan,

check out solution to problem 1.215 for the gravitational field inside a spherical cavity. The solution for 3.28 is similar.

Unknown said...

Awesome work sir, dese solns r really helping me in enhancing my concepts nd in level building. i must say thanks. !